Buy a Tablet or Ipad for Travel
A lot of airlines will now rent a tablet or Ipad as the only entertainment option when you fly. Gone are the days of airlines offering a single movie option on a shared screen. Now they offer their own wifi streaming service with huge lists of T.V shows and movies in almost every category.
If you are travelling with kids, the tablet can be a lifesaver. Now with Netflix you can download all of their shows right to the device so you no longer need internet to watch a show! I know some parents disagree with me on this and don’t want their kids on these devices and to each is own. We let them watch on the plane so that they keep the volume and movement to a minimum. You can also upload educational games and even teach them their ABC’s on the tablet.
Why should I buy a tablet/Ipad for when I travel?
- Smaller than a laptop. Tablets can come in micro size and will allow you to do your essentials while you travel like checking email, taking pictures, surfing the web.
2. It is a portable translation device. There are many apps that you can download for free on you tablet that help you translate.
3. Extra memory. If you take so many pictures on your phone that it becomes full, it is great to have a place that you can dump those pictures to free up room on your camera or phone.
4. Mobile entertainment device. You can download movies, stream them, play games etc all on your iPad. Tablets give you endless amounts of entertainment.
5. Mobile GPS. Your tablet can give you directions.
6. Research device. When you travel you need to know what you are doing and what is the best way to do it. Having your tablet with you allows you to do the research you need to do at the tip of your hands.
7. E-books! Use your tablet to download e-books and you will never have to carry a clunky book with you again. This serves in 2 parts when you travel, it helps you pack lighter, and gives you a mobile library at the best prices you can find on the internet.
8. Book tours cheaper. Many tours and tickets are cheaper when you book them online, just recently I was in a line-up to buy tickets to mini golf and my wife checked the pricing online and it was cheaper, so we bought the tickets while in the line-up and saved some money!
What are the best tablets on the market for travel?
(please note the tablets I am recommending all come with larger memory models, you can click the link and it will take you to all of your options)
Ipad mini 4 or 5.
Apple iPad mini 4 (128GB, Wi-Fi, Gold). This tablet is the smallest of all of the tablets we are recommending here. It is only 7 inches! The iPad mini 5 is not out yet but it will be coming soon. When it does you can bet that the iPad mini 4 will be selling at a discounted price.
• 7.9inch Retina Display, 2048 x 1536 Resolution
• Apple iOS 9, Dual-Core A8 Chip with Quad-Core Graphics
• 8 MP iSight Camera, 1080p HD Video Recording
• 16GB Capacity, Wi-Fi (802.11a/?b/?g/?n/?ac) + Cellular + MIMO + Bluetooth 4.2
• Up to 10 Hours of Battery Life, 0.65 lbs
The new iPad is an amazing machine just like it’s predecessors. It has a crisp 9.7 inch display with A9 power. The best part is it is cheap!
• 9.7-inch Retina display, wide color and true tone
• A9 third-generation chip with 64-bit architecture
• M9 motion coprocessor
• 1.2MP FaceTime HD camera
• 8MP iSight camera
The Ipad pro comes with more memory, better speakers, the new pro motion screen that gives you a better quality display and more speed. This model is better if you are video editing.
Here are the basic specs of the iPad Pro 10.5
• 10.5″ Multi-Touch Retina Display
• 2224 X 1668 Resolution
• Apple A10X SoC With M10 Coprocessor
• 64GB Capacity
This is the tablet for android lovers. It is the most full featured android device on the market and is very stable. It uses an amazing HDR screen and comes with a pen for precision!
• Cinematic Experience Quad speakers, Super AMOLED display with HDR video compatibility
• Pen with precision Writes naturally with tools to draw, write and translate
• Charge fast, for less downtime Adaptive fast charging and 6,000mAh battery with up to 12 hours of video playback
• Simple connection, flawless typing Magnetic keyboard connects easily with an optimized key layout
Is actually a full on high end laptop, however the keyboard is removable and it turns into a tablet. This machine is great for all around use. Especially if you are a blogger or writer as the keyboard is a great option for this type of work. One feature I love with this is the built in kickstand for when you want to stand it up while you are watching a movie on the plane.
• Surface pro 4 powers through everything you need to do, while being lighter than ever before
• The 12.3 PixelSense screen has extremely high contrast and low glare so you can work through the day without straining your eyes
• Go from tablet to laptop in a snap with the multi-position kickstand and improved keyboard
• Features an intel core i5 6th gen (Skylake) core
• Multi-tasking evolved be more productive with multiple applications open at the same time
• Expandable Memory add a micro SD card and get up to 128 GB of storage, so you can take more content with you
• Multi-user profiles customize access for different family members
• More safe & secure kids mode manage what your kids access
• Processor Speed, Type Quad-Core (1.2GHz), Qualcomm APQ 8016
• Product Dimensions (inches): 9.52 x 5.89 x 0.38
• Features: F2.2(Rear) / F2.4(Front) Video Streaming, Video Player
There are some cheaper options you can look at if you need a more basic device. I have not personally used any of these but I heard they are great for basic usage. These can range from $100 -$200. and inlude the Yuntab, The fire HD Tablet, Lenovo Tablet 10.1”, and the Asus Zen pad.